Champions League: Top African Players to Follow
The Uefa Champions League group stage kicks off on Tuesday, with 32 teams vying for the world’s greatest club competition prize. Among them are some of the best African players, who will showcase their skills and talent to billions of viewers around the world, including on SuperSport.
Here are some of the top African players to watch in the Champions League group stage:
- Victor Osimhen(Nigeria, Napoli): The Nigerian striker was instrumental in Napoli’s first Scudetto win in 23 years last season, scoring 22 goals in Serie A. He decided to stay with the Italian club despite interest from other European giants and will lead their attack in Group C against Atletico Madrid, Liverpool, and Porto.
- Sofyan Amrabat(Morocco, Manchester United): The Moroccan midfielder was one of the stars of the World Cup in Russia, where he helped his country reach the quarter-finals. He joined Manchester United on loan from Fiorentina this summer and will add creativity and flair to their midfield in Group F against Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, and Sporting Lisbon.
- Yankuba Minteh(Gambia, Feyenoord): The Gambian teenager scored a crucial goal for his country last weekend to secure their qualification for the Africa Cup of Nations finals in January. He is on the books at Feyenoord Rotterdam, who are the Dutch champions and who will compete in Group E against Atletico Madrid, Glasgow Celtic, and Lazio.
- Karim Konate(Ivory Coast, RB Salzburg): The 19-year-old Ivorian has already been capped at full international level by his country and is one of the promising young talents at RB Salzburg, who have a reputation for developing African players. He will play in Group D against Benfica, Inter Milan, and Real Sociedad.
5. Sebastian Haller(Ivory Coast, Borussia Dortmund): The Ivory Coast forward overcame testicular cancer last year and returned to full fitness and form. He joined Borussia Dortmund from West Ham United this summer and will spearhead their attack in Group G against Bayern Munich, Paris St Germain, and Shakhtar Donetsk.
6. Luther Singh(South Africa, Partizan Belgrade): The South African striker left Danish champions FC Copenhagen last week and moved to Partizan Belgrade in Serbia. He will be the lone representative of his country in the Champions League group stage, where he will face Chelsea, Juventus, and Zenit St Petersburg in Group H.
Read also African Football Stars: Where Are They Heading? | Booldo
Below is a broader selection of African players in UCL 2023-24