Ghana has a long and rich history of boxing, and in recent years, the country has produced a number of world-class champions. In the last two years, Ghanaian boxers have won a number of major titles, including:
- Emmanuel Tagoe, who won the WBO Africa lightweight title in 2021.
- Richard Commey, who won the IBF lightweight title in 2020.
- Kpakpo Allotey, who won the WBO Africa welterweight title in 2021.
- Abdullah Azziz, who won the WBO Africa super welterweight title in 2021.
- Sylvester Owusu Snr, who won the WBO Africa cruiserweight title in 2021.
Ga tribe dominate the Ghanaian boxing scene
The Ga are one of the largest ethnic groups in Ghana, and they are concentrated in the capital city of Accra. Accra is also the center of boxing in Ghana, and many of the top Ghanaian boxers come from the Ga tribe. This may be due to a number of factors, including the fact that the Ga have a strong cultural tradition of boxing, and that Accra has a number of boxing gyms and training facilities.
In addition to Emmanuel Tagoe , many of famous Ghanaian boxers originate from the Ga tribe. These include:
- Azumah Nelson: Nelson is a two-time world champion, and he is considered to be one of the greatest boxers of all time.
- Ike Quartey: Quartey is a former world champion, and he is known for his aggressive fighting style.
- Joshua Clottey: Clottey is a former world champion, and he is known for his defensive skills.
While most of the top Ghanaian boxers are from the Ga tribe, there are a few notable exceptions, such as Agbeko, who is from the Ewe tribe. Agbeko is a former world champion, and he is known for his power and punching ability.
The success of these boxers is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the Ghanaian boxing community. The country has a rich history of boxing, and it is clear that the sport is alive and well in Ghana today.