Africa has not been left behind when it comes to the salaries of the best players
Football is a universally loved sport, and Africa has been a significant contributor to producing some of the world’s finest players. These players have not only represented their countries but have also secured places in top clubs where they are rewarded handsomely for their skills and contributions.
In 2023, the following African footballers are the highest earners in the English Premier League:
- Mohamed Salah – £350,000 per week Egyptian forward, Mohamed Salah, is widely recognized as one of the best footballers globally, with an impressive track record in recent times. He joined Liverpool in 2017 and scored 43 goals in his debut season, which earned him a new contract at £200,000 per week. Salah recently extended his contract again, becoming the highest-paid player at Liverpool with a staggering salary of £350,000 per week. This places him among the top earners in the Premier League.
- Riyad Mahrez – £300,000 Algerian winger Riyad Mahrez is the second highest-paid African player in the Premier League, earning £300,000 per week at Manchester City. Mahrez was instrumental in Manchester City’s title-winning campaign last season, contributing with 14 goals and 9 assists in the Premier League.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – £250,000 Gabonese striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the third highest-paid African player in the Premier League. Aubameyang signed a new contract with Arsenal in 2020, which made him the club’s highest earner at £250,000 per week.
- N’Golo Kante – £220,000 Although born in Paris, N’Golo Kante’s parents are of Malian descent, making him eligible to play for Mali. Kante is known for his tireless work rate and his ability to win the ball back in midfield. He is one of the highest-paid African players in the Premier League, earning £220,000 per week at Chelsea.
- Sadio Mane – £200,000 Senegalese winger Sadio Mane is one of the key players in Liverpool’s attack. Mane signed a new contract with Liverpool in 2018, which saw him earn £150,000 per week. However, he has since had his contract extended, with his weekly wage now standing at £200,000.
- Wilfried Zaha – £130,000 Ivorian forward Wilfried Zaha is one of the most talented players in the Premier League. Zaha is Crystal Palace’s all-time top scorer in the Premier League and has been linked with a move away from the club in recent years. He currently earns £130,000 per week.
African talent recognized in the Premier League
It’s worth noting that while these players are among the highest-paid African players in the Premier League, there are many other African players who also earn significant salaries in the league. The Premier League is one of the most lucrative football leagues in the world, and it’s a testament to the skill and talent of African players that they are among the highest earners in the league.